Risotto is not just for dinner anymore – this breakfast risotto features bacon, eggs and artichoke hearts! Full of flavor and perfect for any meal.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 slices bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups arborio rice
- 3/4 cup white wine
- 5 cups chicken broth (I like the Pacific and Imagine boxed variety)
- 6 eggs
- 1 package frozen artichoke hearts, thawed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Heat oil in a large saucepan and add bacon. Cook until bacon is crisp, then remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Set aside, leaving drippings in the pan.
- Add rice to the pan and stir for a minute or two. Add wine and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Now start adding the broth in 1/2 cup increments, letting the rice absorb each half cup of broth before you add the next one. Stir from time to time. All the broth should be added and absorbed in about 25 minutes.
- While the risotto is cooking, poach the eggs by bringing a large deep skillet of water to a simmer. Crack each egg into a small bowl or teacup, then gently slip each one into the water. Cover the skillet, turn off the heat and let the eggs sit in the water for exactly four minutes. Then scoop them out with a slotted spoon and put them on a plate.
- Back to the risotto: when the rice is cooked, stir in the butter, bacon and artichoke hearts. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed.
- Divide the risotto among 6 bowls and top with a poached egg. Break the egg so the yolk spreads into the risotto. Serve at once. Feel merry.