- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups milk
- 2 apples, cored and cut into chunks
- Warm milk for topping
- Warm maple syrup for drizzling
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat until it foams and turns light brown. Add oats and stir for 5 minutes until lightly toasted.
- Add water and milk and stir. Cook over low heat for 30 minutes or until oatmeal is soft, stirring occasionally.
- Meantime, saute apples in remaining butter over medium heat until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Spoon oatmeal into warmed bowls. Pour a little warm milk over each serving, top with a spoonful of apples, drizzle with warm maple syrup and serve at once.