Regular roast beef sandwiches, move over and make way for this delightful grilled version with sliced pear and blue cheese!
Oh, this sandwich. Oh, oh, oh this sandwich. Wrap your mind around this if you will: rare roast beef, thin slices of sweet juicy pear, and creamy salty blue cheese, all layered together and grilled on buttered bread until the blue cheese has melted into the pear and the roast beef and oh my my.
This is an event sandwich that is easy to make and perfect for fall, and is definitely going into my regular sandwich rotation. I think you need it in yours too!
This beauty of a recipe is from the marvelous PREPPY COOKBOOK by the equally marvelous Christine Nunn.
When Chris was first telling me about her cookbook, this sandwich was the first recipe she described to me, and like so many of Chris’s recipes, it is pretty dang close to perfect in its delightful combination of tastes.
And the fact that you can make it in just about the same amount of time it takes to make a regular old roast beef sandwich – well, that’s just the icing on the cake.
Make sure your roast beef is nice and rare and sliced thin, and that your pear is ripe and juicy. You want a nice sturdy bread to hold all this deliciousness…Chris recommends a sourdough, but any hearty bread will do just fine.
I cooked up my sandwiches on my trusty electric griddle, but the original recipe calls for cooking them in a saute pan and that will work just fine as well.
So if you are looking for a great fall sandwich, look no further…you’ve found it!Print
- 4 slices hearty white bread
- 6 thin slices rare roast beef
- 1 ripe pear, cored and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- Layer the roast beef and pear on two bread slices.
- Mash the blue cheese and the mayo with a fork and spread on the remaining two bread slices. Place those slices cheese side down on top of the slices with the roast beef and pear.
- Butter the outside of both sides of the sandwich.
- Place in a cold saute pan or electric griddle. Turn heat to medium and cook for about 3 minutes or until golden. Carefully flip to the other side and cook until that side is golden.
- Cut sandwiches in half and serve.
Shared with permission of the author from THE PREPPY COOKBOOK