- 6 large sea scallops (try for dry scallops)
- 6 strips bacon
- Olive oil
- Fresh ground pepper
- Chopped fresh chives
- Balsamic vinegar
- Freshly cooked white or brown rice for serving
- Cook the bacon until halfway cooked (you can do this in a 400 degree oven for 5 minutes or in the microwave for 3 minutes. Let cool until you can handle them safely.
- Wrap each scallop in a strip of bacon, and thread three bacon scallops onto each metal skewer through the bacon. If you are using wooden skewers, soak them in water for 30 minutes before using them.
- Brush the scallops on all sides with olive oil and grind some fresh pepper on top.
- Heat the grill to medium high and place the skewers bacon-side down. Cook for 4 minutes and then flip the to the other bacon side, using tongs. Cook another 4 minutes until bacon is cooked through.
- If the scallops aren’t cooked through and opaque-looking by the time the bacon is done, place the skewers scallop-side down on the grill for another minute or two.
- If you are serving the scallops with rice, place the rice on the plates and then place the skewers on the rice. Drizzle rice and scallops with fresh lemon juice, fresh chopped chives and/or balsamic vinegar.
- Serve, cautioning folks to be careful if the skewers are still hot.