It’s finally here…I knew if I was patient enough, one day I would wake up in the morning and it would finally be The Day. I’m talking the start of corn season – sweet, tender, you can practically eat it all by itself right after you husk it, corn season. And while I am perfectly happy eating fresh cooked corn on the cob all by itself for dinner, the start of this year’s corn season seemed to call for something a little more celebratory. Something like, say, creamy shrimp with bacon and, you guessed it, CORN.
This is one of those all in one dish meals that has you making a few things all at the same time, but they ultimately all come together in a creamy and dreamy melody of salty bacon, tender shrimp and sweet corn, all mixed together with cream and rice and ooh-la-la. It’s absolutely special enough to serve to any lucky summertime company that you might have on a Saturday night, but since it takes less than 30 minutes to make you can also whip it up if you happen to have some perfect fresh corn come your way on a Tuesday night.
So if you (like I) feel like the start of corn season REALLY ought to be named a national holiday, please make this summertime supper as soon as humanly possible. Because you are going to want to make it again and again, and corn season is fleeting. Go get some, and usher in corn season in style!Print
- 1 cup white rice
- Coarse salt and black pepper
- 4 slices bacon, cut into one inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/4 pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 4 ears of corn, kernels cut off the cob and cobs discarded
- Prepare rice according to package directions.
- Cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat until crisp, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove with tongs to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Add oil to skillet and return the heat to medium high. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Carefully pour in the wine and simmer for 2 minutes. Add the cream and bring to a boil.
- Add the shrimp, corn,and simmer until the shrimp is cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Stir in the bacon and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve over warm rice.
Adapted from Real Simple
Hi there! I’m Kate, and I’m a recipe writer, food photographer and devoted bacon lover. I started Framed Cooks in 2009, and my mission is to create and share family-friendly recipes that make cooking both easy and fun…yes, I said FUN! My kitchen is my happy place, and I want yours to be that place too. And if you make this recipe, I would love you to tag @FramedCooks on Instagram so I can see the deliciousness!