- 1/2 cup flour
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 pound green tomatoes, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- Kosher salt
- 8 slices bread (toasted…or not!)
- 8 slices bacon, cut in half and cooked to your liking
- Fresh ground pepper
- Place the flour, cornmeal and eggs in separate bowls. Dip the tomatoes first in the flour, then the eggs, then the cornmeal, pressing gently to help the cornmeal adhere.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Working in batches, cook the tomatoes until golden brown, 1-2 minutes per side. Drain on paper towel lined sheet and season with salt.
- Assemble the sandwiches as follows: Bread, spread with mayo, grind some pepper on the mayo, then lettuce, fried tomato or two, 4 bacon halves, spread the second piece of bread with mayo and place it on top. Enjoy immediately while the tomatoes are warm!