- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds large shrimp, peeled and cleaned, shells reserved
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 cup clam juice
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 stick butter
- 1 leek, trimmed to white and light green parts, cleaned and sliced
- 1 cup cubed Yukon gold potato
- 1 fennel, sliced, with leaves saved for garnish
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Juice from one lime
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven and saute shrimp shells for 5 minutes. Add wine, clam juice and water and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Pour broth through a fine mesh strainer and toss the solids.
- Melt butter in the same Dutch oven and add leek, potato, fennel and celery seeds. Cook over medium high heat for 10 minutes.
- Add shrimp broth and cream and cook just until shrimp are done, about 2-3 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add lime juice and stir.
- Scoop out the shrimp and veggies with a slotted spoon and divide among bowls. Ladle on as much of the creamy broth as you like, garnish with fennel leaves and serve.