Yes, you really can poach an egg, and this recipe will walk you through it step by step. Here’s how to make a perfect poached egg. No fear!
- As many eggs as you would like to poach!
- Fill a deep skillet or a pot with about 3 inches of water and bring to a simmer.
- Break each egg into a small glass bowl or a teacup. Make sure the yolk is intact.
- Slip each egg gently into the simmering water. Don’t worry if the whites seem to flare out in the water…if you like, you can nudge the edges back towards the yolk with a wooden spoon, but even if you don’t things will still be fine. :)
- Cover the skillet with a lid, turn off the heat, move the pan to a cool burner (very important!) and let the eggs sit in the water for 4 minutes (3 minutes if you like your yolks REALLY runny).
- Scoop out the poached eggs with a slotted spoon, letting the water drip off. You’ve made perfect poached eggs!