- 1 whole roasting chicken (don’t forget to take the giblets out of the inside!)
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter
- 2 tablespoons each chopped fresh sage and thyme
- 2 onions, peeled and chopped
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 5 cups bread cubes (from country or Italian bread)
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Dry chicken with paper towels. Rub two tablespoons of the butter over the chicken.
- Melt the remaining butter in a large, oven-proof skillet. Saute onions and celery until soft, about 3-5 minutes. Stir in half the chopped herbs.
- Turn off the burner and nestle the chicken on top of the veggies, breast-side up. Tuck the bread cubes all around the chicken. Sprinkle the remaining herbs over the chicken.
- Bake the chicken skillet until chicken is done, about 90 minutes. (If you are using a quick read thermometer it should read 175 in the chicken thigh).
- Transfer chicken to a carving board and loosely cover with foil.
- Pour the chicken broth over the dressing in the skillet and stir over low heat until well combined and warm.
- Slice the chicken and serve with a spoonful of the dressing. Have someone you love wash out the skillet.