- 24 bacon slices (try for the center cut variety if you can find it)
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 24 sea scallops (the large kind, and ask for dry scallops)
- Fresh ground pepper for garnish
- Fresh chopped chives for garnish
- Partially cook bacon in a large skillet until halfway done. Remove, drain and cool until you can safely handle the bacon.
- Wrap each scallop in bacon and secure with a toothpick. Using a pastry brush, paint all over with maple syrup.
- Turn the broiler on high. Line a rimmed baking pan with foil and place a cooling rack in the pan. Place the scallops on the pan and broil for 2-3 minutes per side, watching them through the door to make sure the bacon isn’t burning. After they have cooked for 2-3 minutes on the first side, carefully remove the pan from the oven, turn them over with tongs, and pop them back in for another 2-3 minutes.
- Remove to a serving plate, garnish with chives and pepper and serve at once.