For Macaroni and Cheese
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup flour
- 4 cups whole milk
- 3/4 pound macaroni (elbows, small shells, etc)
- 4 cups shredded cheddar
- 8 slices soft bread
- Soft butter
Macaroni and Cheese (if you use your own, make sure it is a creamy version – the baked kind doesn’t work as well for these sandwiches)
- Melt butter in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt and cook until flour is slightly brown, about 3-5 minutes
- Pour in milk, whisking constantly until mixture is smooth. Stir until boiling and then reduce heat to low. Simmer until mixture thickens a little, about 10 minutes, stirring every few minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta until al dente, drain and return to pot. Remove sauce from heat, whisk in cheese and stir until cheese is melted. Add pasta and stir to coat. This will make a little more mac and cheese than you need for the sandwiches, but there’s nothing better than leftover m&c!
- Heat an electric griddle to medium high, or place a large skillet over medium high heat on the stovetop.
- Spread one side of each slice of bread with butter. Place four slices butter-side down and top with a generous amount of mac and cheese (about 1/2 to 3/4 cups). Top with remaining bread slices, butter side up.
- Carefully place on griddle or skillet and cook until first side is golden brown, about 3-5 minutes. Flip carefully and cook until second side is golden.
- Remove, cut in half if you like (this works best with a serrated knife) and serve immediately.