- 6 slices bacon, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced thin
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups chicken broth (I like the Pacific and Imagine box varieties)
- 2 large red potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 cup half and half
- 2 scallions, chopped
- Cook bacon in a large Dutch oven or other heavy pot until crisp. Remove with slotted spoon and set aside, leaving the bacon drippings in the pot.
- Add onion, carrots, celery, salt and thyme and cook over medium heat until the vegetables soften, about 5 minutes. Add flour, stir and cook another 2 minutes.
- Add broth and potatoes and bring to a simmer. Cook for about 10 minutes or until potatoes are done.
- Add chicken and half and half and simmer another 5 minutes. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed. Stir in cooked bacon and scallions and serve.