- 1 gallon skim milk
- 3/4 cup white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup half and half
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Pour milk into a large heavy pot and heat to 120 degrees. Remove from heat, pour in vinegar and stir. Cover and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Remove solids from pot and place in a clean, lightweight dishtowel. Put the dishtowel in a colander and let drain for 5 minutes.
- Gather the ends of the dishtowel together until the cheese is fully covered and run cold water over the dishtowel for three minutes, kneading and squeezing the cheese curds the whole time.
- Transfer the curds to a bowl and add 1/4 cup each of half and half and cream, along with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Stir. Taste and add additional salt and cream until the cheese is a taste and consistency you like.
- This cheese is best enjoyed the same day you make it!