- 1 1/4 sticks butter, room temperature, plus more for pan
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled), plus more for pan
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/4 cups pure pumpkin puree (from a 15-ounce can)
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter and flour 12 standard muffin cups.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, and allspice.
- In a small bowl, whisk together buttermilk and pumpkin puree.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, scraping down bowl as needed. With mixer on low, add flour mixture in three additions, alternating with two additions pumpkin mixture, and beat to combine.
- Spoon 1/3 cup batter into each muffin cup and bake until a toothpick inserted in center of a muffin comes out clean, about 30 minutes.
- Combine granulated sugar and cinnamon. Let muffins cool 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack. Working with one at a time, remove muffins from pan, brush all over with butter, then toss to coat in sugar mixture.
- Let muffins cool completely on a wire rack and serve.