- 4 medium leeks, trimmed, rinsed and sliced thinly
- 2 large Yukon Gold potatoes, peel and sliced thinly
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped chives
- 1 slice bread
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped pancetta (or two slices bacon)
- Put leeks, potatoes, milk and 2 cups of water in a large pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 25 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes and stir in the cream.
- Using either a regular blender or an immersion blender, puree until smooth. Set a fine mesh strainer over a large bowl and pour the soup through it, stirring the soup as it goes through the strainer to get out any remaining solids.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and refrigerate until chilled, a minimum of three hours.
- Pulse bread slice in food processor to make crumbs. Heat butter in a medium skillet over medium high heat. Add garlic and breadcrumbs and stir until crumbs are golden and crunchy. Set aside.
- Wipe out skillet and add pancetta or bacon. Stir over medium high heat until crispy and drain on paper towels until slightly cooled.
- Divide soup among bowls. Garnish with bread crumbs, pancetta and chives and serve at once.