Feta cheese drizzled with olive oil and topped with fresh thyme melts into perfection on your grill. A little pita bread and you are all set!
Okay, let’s talk about Mondays. Mondays used to be a regular “come home from work and cook dinner” night in my house, and don’t get me wrong, I love to cook dinner. Except…maybe…on Mondays.
So a while ago we instituted “Monday Wine and Cheese Night,” which means we have a different cheese and a different wine every Monday night.
And since we are still in the midst of grilling season, one recent Monday we decided to grill our Monday cheese….and so I bring you the wonder that is grilled feta cheese with fresh thyme.
It really couldn’t be any easier. Take a nice square of heavy duty foil and plunk a square of feta cheese in the middle. Scatter some fresh thyme on top and drizzle on some olive oil.
Now seal up the foil packet by scrunching the ends together well, and heat your grill up to medium.
Once the grill is nice and hot, pop the foil packet on the grill and put the lid down. Leave it there for about 10 minutes, after which your cheese will be warm and melty and wonderful.
At this point I tossed some pita bread on the grill and toasted it just until it had some handsome char marks on it. (And if you want to go all out, make some homemade grilled flatbread!)
Now carefully open the foil packet and slide the whole wonderful cheesy thing into a pretty bowl – oil, herbs, cheese and all.
If you have grilled pita to go with it, tear that into bite-sized chunks…you can also serve this with torn french bread, toasted pita chips, cut up celery, endive leaves…you get the picture! I
t’s a lovely appetizer…or maybe you want to start your own Monday Wine and Cheese Night? It kind of gives a whole new meaning to the words “grilled cheese!”Print
- 1 twelve ounce block of feta cheese, room temperature
- 6–8 generous size sprigs of fresh thyme
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Grilled pita, french bread or fresh veggies for serving
- Heat grill to medium.
- Place cheese in the center of a square of heavy duty foil. Roll the thyme between your palms (this releases the oils in the herbs) and place thyme on top. Drizzle the oil on top.
- Seal the foil packets and put on the grill. Close the lid and heat for 10 minutes.
- Carefully open the packets and transfer the contents (cheese, oil and herbs) to a serving dish. Serve at once with bread or veggies for dipping and spreading.