This easy recipe for gingerbread pancakes with warm buttered apples on top takes this favorite breakfast dish to new heights of wonderfulness!
- 2 apples, cored and diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Maple syrup for serving
- Heat 2 tablespoons butter in a medium skillet until melted. Add apples, 1 tablespoon brown sugar, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon and stir until apples are softened, about 3-5 minutes. Transfer to bowl and set aside.
- Spray a griddle or large frying pan with nonstick spray, and heat oven to 200 if you are going to use it to keep the pancakes warm.
- Mix together flour, ginger, remaining cinnamon, baking powder and baking soda in a large bowl.
- Whisk together eggs, remaining brown sugar, molasses and melted butter. Add to flour mixture and stir until combined (don’t worry if there are a few lumps!)
- Heat griddle over medium heat for 2 minutes. Scoop out 1/4 cup of batter for each pancake and pour onto heated griddle. Cook until the underside is golden and there are a few bubbles on the top, peeking at the underside a few times to make sure the pancakes aren’t cooking too fast. Flip, press down a little and continue cooking until the second side is done.
- If you need to cook in two batches, keep the first batch warm on a cookie sheet in the heated oven.
- Divide pancakes among plates, top with apple mixture and syrup and serve!