Turn cucumbers into spicy delicious pickles in 48 hours…with no canning! This fun recipe for easy homemade pickles happens all in the fridge.
- 2 pounds of kirby cucumbers (about 10 pickles), washed and halved or quartered
- 1 1/2 cups white vinegar
- 1/8 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds (you can find these in the spice aisle)
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 cup chopped fresh dill
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, depending on how spicy you like things!
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- Stir together vinegar, sugar, salt, mustard seeds, and hot water until sugar and salt are dissolved, and let cool.
- Put the pickles, dill, red pepper and garlic into a large deep bowl and stir until the dill is evenly distributed.
- Pour the vinegar mixture over the cucumbers. If they aren’t submerged, add a little more water until they are. Put a plate on top of the cukes to keep them down in the liquid, cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- Marinate for about 48 hours. These pickles will keep several weeks in the fridge, and they will get spicier over time. Once I go past the 48 hour mark, I keep them in a covered glass cookie jar in the brine – takes up less fridge space that way!