- 1 cup butter
- 3 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 2 inch chunks
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 cup cream, room temperature
- Fresh ground pepper
- Make the brown butter: melt the butter over medium heat in a small pot and stir continuously until the butter is golden brown, about 5 minutes (although watch it carefully as it may go faster). As soon as it is brown, remove from heat and pour it into a separate bowl, don’t leave it in the pot.
- Put the potatoes and 1 teaspoon salt into a large pot and fill with water. Heat to boiling and cook the potatoes until they are tender when you pierce them with a fork, about 15 minutes. Drain, return them to the pot and mash them with a potato masher until they fall apart.
- Add cream in 1/4 cup increments and continue to mash until they are a consistency that you like. If you like stiffer potatoes you may not need all the cream.
- Stir up the brown butter (some of the solids may have settled to the bottom, remove 2-3 tablespoons and set aside, and pour the rest into the mashed potatoes. Stir well. Add the remaining salt and a generous grinding of pepper and stir again. Taste and add more salt and pepper as needed.
- Transfer to a serving bowl or individual plates, drizzle with remaining butter and serve at once.