- 3 slices bread
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 slices bacon, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, minced
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup chicken broth (I like the Pacific and Imagine brands in the box)
- 1 pound fresh figs, trimmed and quartered
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 12 ounces fettuccine or other wide pasta
- Process bread in food processor until you have bread crumbs. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat and add crumbs. Stir until crumbs are crisp and golden, about 5 minutes. Remove to a plate and cool.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in the same skillet and add bacon. Cook until crisp and remove to a plate, reserving bacon grease in the pan.
- Add onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and rosemary and stir for one more minute.
- Add wine and bring to a boil. Stir until wine is reduced to about a tablespoon. Remove from heat and stir in stock, figs, parsley and lemon juice.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Scoop out about a cup of pasta water and drain.
- Add pasta to fig mixture and toss. Add 1/2 cup of pasta water and continue tossing over low heat until mixture is heated through, adding more pasta water if needed.
- Add bacon and salt and pepper to taste. Divide among plates, garnish with bread crumbs and serve!