- 6 slices bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 bottle dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 pound spaghetti
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, plus some extra shaved with a vegetable peeler for garnish
- Cook bacon in a large deep skillet until crisp. Remove with slotted spoon, leaving the bacon grease in the skillet. Turn off the heat and let the skillet cool down for 5 minutes.
- Pour 1 1/2 cups of wine into the skillet and simmer for 10 minutes – the wine will reduce to about 1/2 cup. Stir in the sugar.
- Meanwhile, cook spaghetti in salted water until it just starts to become flexible, about 5 minutes. Scoop out a cup of pasta water. Drain and add to skillet.
- Add remaining wine to skillet and return to a low boil. Cook the pasta in the wine until it is done to your liking, tossing it frequently with tongs. If the pasta is not done enough by the time all the wine is absorbed, add a little pasta water.
- When spaghetti is done, pour in cream and grated cheese and toss. Season to taste with salt and pepper and divide among 4 plates. Garnish with bacon and shaved cheese and serve.