Sometimes it’s the easiest, quickest recipes that are the very best, especially when it comes to dessert. I feel this way about my beloved strawberry sherbet recipe, and my adored cookie truffle recipe, and my trusty banana parfait recipe. And now I feel this way about toasted coconut milkshakes. Five ingredients, one blender, and five minutes to frosty, creamy, coconut happiness. Here goes!
Now, if you’ve got pretty glasses in the back of your cupboard, now is the time to dust them off. It’s amazing how festive things can get with just a little dash of prettying up.
And if you don’t, no worries…these milkshakes are still going to taste all kinds of good. Start by toasting up a handful of sweetened coconut, which is as easy as stirring it around in a skillet on the top of the stove until it gets pretty and golden. This will take about 5 minutes tops, and make sure you stir it faithfully at the end…when it starts to toast, it will toast fast!
Now get out your handy blender and fill it up with some vanilla ice cream, some milk and some cream of coconut. Make sure you get cream of coconut and not coconut milk…they are two different things entirely! Cream of coconut is a thick coconut syrup, and I usually find mine in the international foods section of my supermarket. Now whirl it all around until it’s all smooth and combined. Next you are going to add some of that delicious toasted coconut, and give it another whirl.
And here’s my favorite part! Take whatever glass you are using for your shake and brush some corn syrup around the top edge. Now dip it in the remainder of the toasted coconut to give your shake glass a festive look…things are getting exciting now! Now carefully pour the coconut shake from the blender into the glasses. Pop in a festive straw, take a sip, and voila! You are in delicious, frosty, tropical coconut shake paradise!
Life is good. :)Print
- 2 cups vanilla ice cream (get the good stuff!)
- 1/2 cup cream of coconut
- 1/8 cup whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups sweetened coconut
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- Toast coconut in a medium skillet over medium high heat, stirring constantly until coconut is golden brown, about 5 minutes. Divide into two bowls, one with 1 cup of coconut and one with 1/2 cup.
- Put ice cream, cream of coconut and milk into a blender and process until smooth. Add the 1 cup bowl of toasted coconut and blend again until combined.
- Paint the edges of your shake glasses with corn syrup and then dip into the remaining bowl of coconut, pressing the coconut to help it stick.
- Divide the shake mixture between the two glasses, pop in a straw and enjoy immediately!
Adapted from Taste of the South Magazine
Samoa Popsicles from My Baking Addiction
Cupcake Milkshakes from Framed Cooks
Lime and Coconut Ice Cream from Two Peas And Their Pod
Hi there! I’m Kate, and I’m a recipe writer, food photographer and devoted bacon lover. I started Framed Cooks in 2009, and my mission is to create and share family-friendly recipes that make cooking both easy and fun…yes, I said FUN! My kitchen is my happy place, and I want yours to be that place too. Let’s cook together!