- 4 large russet potatoes
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened and at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons butter at room temperature
- 1/2 cup half and half, warmed
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1 cup cooked shredded chicken (optional)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar or jack cheese
- Any of the following for garnish: guacamole, sour cream, chopped scallions, salsa, chopped jalapenos, crushed tortilla chips, ground red pepper, fresh lime wedges
- Scrub potatoes well, pierce a few times with a fork and bake until soft, either approximately 10 minutes in the microwave or one hour in a 350 degree oven. Cool for 10 minutes.
- Cut the tops off of the potatoes lengthwise and discard. Carefully scoop the cooked potato out of each potato skin, leaving the skins as intact as possible.
- Mash all the potato insides with cream cheese and butter. Add half and half in small increments until the potatoes are a consistency that you like (you might not need all the half and half). Stir in the taco seasoning until well-mixed, and then stir in the chicken if you are using it.
- Sprinkle cheese on the top of each potato. Place the potatoes on a baking sheet and bake in a 350 degree oven for about 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Garnish with your choice of toppings and serve at once.