- 8 ounces linguine
- Coarse salt
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon pepper, either freshly ground (for a milder taste) or coarsely cracked (for a more peppery taste!)
- 1 1/2 cups freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Salt it heavily (a couple of tablespoons) and cook the linguine according to package directions. Before draining, save a cup of pasta water.
- Meanwhile, melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat and add pepper. Stir for a minute or two.
- Add 1/2 cup pasta water to the skillet and heat for about a minute. Add pasta, cheese and remaining butter and toss thoroughly until pasta is coated. Add more water to loosen the sauce if you need to.
- Divide pasta among warm bowls and serve.