This honey breadcrumb asparagus recipe uses honey, parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs. It’s a side dish, but it also makes a great light supper or snack!
- 2 pounds asparagus, trimmed (use thick asparagus)
- Salt and fresh ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 1/2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Preheat oven to 450. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil or a silicone baking mat.
- Poke holes in each asparagus with a fork and toss with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Drain for 30 minutes on paper towels.
- Combine one cup parmesan, bread crumbs, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, red pepper and butter in a shallow bowl.
- Whip egg whites and honey in a mixing bowl until egg whites form soft peaks. Transfer to a 13×9 inch pan.
- Roll each asparagus stalk in the egg whites (don’t worry if they aren’t totally coated), and then roll them gently in the bread crumb mixture, patting the bread crumbs along the stalk. Transfer to the foil-lined baking sheet.
- Bake asparagus for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese and bake for another 4-5 minutes until cheese and crumbs are a golden brown.
- Cool for about 5 minutes and serve.