Chicken with spring vegetables and gnocchi taking the place of the usual dumplings makes a perfect spring supper. Healthy and flavorful!
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 pounds boneless chicken breast
- 1/2 stick butter
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 1 large bulb of fennel, trim and sliced
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 leek, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced (white and light green part only)
- 12 ounces fresh potato or ricotta gnocchi
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley, plus extra for garnish
- Coarse salt and fresh ground pepper
- Shaved parmesan for garnish
- Bring broth to a boil in a large Dutch oven and add chicken. Simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 25 minutes. Remove chicken, saving broth in same pot, and cool. Shred into bite sized pieces.
- Bring broth in Dutch oven back to a simmer.
- Melt butter in small saucepan. Whisk in flour and whisk until fully combined. Add to simmering broth and cook for 5-10 minutes until slightly thickened.
- Add chopped vegetables and simmer for 5 minutes. Add in chicken and parsley and heat through. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, cook gnocchi according to package directions and drain. Add to chicken mixture and stir until everything is well combined.
- Transfer to serving bowl or plates and garnish with shaved parmesan and chopped parsley,
Need to add something to your kitchen equipment to make this recipe? Below are some of the items we used in the Framed Cooks kitchen to help cook this up. These are affiliate links to things we use and love, which helps to pay for all that bacon I keep buying!