Chicken with spring vegetables and gnocchi taking the place of the usual dumplings makes a perfect spring supper. Healthy and flavorful!
- 10 cups chicken broth
- 2 pounds boneless chicken breast
- 1/2 stick butter
- 6 tablespoons flour
- I large bulb of fennel, trim and sliced
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 leek, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced (white and light green part only)
- 12 ounces fresh potato or ricotta gnocchi
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley, plus extra for garnish
- Coarse salt and fresh ground pepper
- Shaved parmesan for garnish
- Bring broth to a boil in a large Dutch oven and add chicken. Simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 25 minutes. Remove chicken, saving broth in same pot, and cool. Shred into bite sized pieces.
- Bring broth in Dutch oven back to a simmer.
- Melt butter in small saucepan. Whisk in flour and cook, whisking constantly, for about 3 minutes. Add to simmering broth and cook for 5-10 minutes until slightly thickened.
- Add chopped vegetables and simmer for 5 minutes. Add in chicken and parsley and heat through. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, cook gnocchi according to package directions and drain. Add to chicken mixture and stir until everything is well combined.
- Transfer to serving bowl or plates and garnish with shaved parmesan and chopped parsley,