This delectable recipe for adult brownies have a secret ingredient (and I bet not the one you think it is!). A fun dessert for the grown-ups in the room!
- 2 tablespoons softened butter
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature and cut up into cubes
- 2 four ounce bars milk chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 2 four ounce bars dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
- 1 four ounce bar bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cut a piece of parchment paper in a 8×12 inch rectangle. Grease it with the 2 tablespoons of butter and dust it with the 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder, and then fit it into an 8×8 baking pan, with the parchment extending up and over the edges. This will be the first of about 20 times you’re going to have to wash chocolate off your hands during this recipe. :)
- Put the milk and dark chocolate in a large microwave safe bowl and add the cubed butter. Microwave it at full power for 15 seconds, then take it out and stir. Repeat this five more times until the mixture is smooth. Let it cool for 10 minutes.
- Add both sugars and the vanilla to the chocolate and mix until combined. Add the eggs one by one, mixing after each one until they are fully combined.
- Add in the flour, the sea salt and the espresso powder. Switch to a hand mixer and beat it at medium high speed until the batter is starting to pull away from sides of the bowl, about 3 minutes. Stir in the bittersweet chocolate.
- Pour the mixture into the baking pan and bake for 45 minutes Poke a toothpick into the middle after 45 minutes. If it comes out clean they are done…if not, continue baking until it comes out clean, checking at 5 minute intervals.
- Let pan cool on a rack for 15 minutes. Then remove the brownies carefully, using the edge of the parchment to lift them out, and let them cool completely on the rack. Cut into one inch squares and serve.