- 8 strips bacon, cut into 1/4 inch squares
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold buttermilk
- 8 tablespoons melted and cooled butter, plus two more tablespoons melted butter to brush on top
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 475 degrees. Fry bacon in 10-inch non-stick skillet over medium heat until crisp, 5 to 7 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towel-lined plate and cool to room temperature.
- Whisk flour, pepper, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, cooled bacon, and salt in large bowl.
- Combine buttermilk and 8 tablespoons melted butter in medium bowl, stirring until butter forms small clumps.
- Add buttermilk mixture to dry ingredients and stir with rubber spatula until just mixed.
- Turn batter out onto a clean floured surface – I used a Silpat for this part. Pat into a square that is about 1 inch high. Use a biscuit cutter to cut out round biscuit dough circles. If you don’t have a biscuit cutter, a drinking glass that is about 2 inches wide will work just as well.
- Place onto parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Bake until tops are golden brown and crisp, 12 to 14 minutes.
- Brush biscuit tops with remaining 2 tablespoons melted butter. Transfer to wire rack and let cool 5 minutes before serving.