This easy recipe for chicken macaroni soup with tomatoes adds a little ham, cheese and herbs for a lunchtime favorite that is brimming with flavor!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 ounces cooked ham, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 5 cups chicken broth (I like Imagine and Pacific brands)
- 1 cup white wine
- 3 large boneless chicken breast halves
- 1 cup drained chopped canned tomatoes
- 8 large pieces oil-packed sun dried tomatoes
- 1 cup elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat oil in large heavy pot over medium heat. Add garlic, basil and thyme and saute until fragrant, about one minute. Mix in ham and tomato paste. Add chicken broth and wine and bring to a simmer.
- Add chicken, cover pot and simmer until chicken is just cooked through, about 15 minutes.
- Use tongs to remove chicken to plate and let cool. Add chopped and sundried tomatoes to pot and simmer 5 minutes.
- Shred chicken into bite sized pieces and return to pot. Stir in cooked macaroni and cook until heated through, about 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Garnish with parsley and cheese and serve.