There’s pasta, and then there’s pasta with brown butter and a creamy fried egg on top. Yum!
About this recipe for Brown Butter Pasta with Egg: If I had to make a top ten list of foods that I love, it would probably go something like this:
So a recipe called Brown Butter Pasta with Egg? Oh, man. Yes please. First, just a little bit about brown butter. It’s pretty much exactly what you think it is…butter that has been melted on the stove and cooked until it turns brown. Why the brown? Because when you cook butter that long, it gets this nutty, intensely buttery flavor that is just plain out of this world. It’s like buttered butter. You have to try it to believe it.
And in this case, not only are you going to use the browned butter on your pasta. Oh no. You are also going to cook a couple of eggs in the browned butter, just until they are nice and soft-set. Then you are going to toss some walnutsin the brown butter until they are warm.
Then you are going to toss the pasta and a little pasta water in with the brown butter and divide it among some plates. Then you are going to nestle one of those fried eggs on top of the pasta on each plate, and ever so lovingly break the egg so the yolk runs through the brown butter pasta.
Then you are going to sprinkle the whole thing with some fresh grated Parmesan cheese and little fresh ground pepper. Yes you are.Print
- 8 ounces thick ribbon pasta, such as fettuccine or pappardelle
- 1 cup butter
- 3⁄4 cup chopped walnuts
- 4 eggs
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Freshly grated Parmesan
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Save a cup of pasta water before you drain it.
- Melt butter in a 12″ skillet over medium heat. Add walnuts and cook, stirring often, until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Scoop out with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Crack eggs into butter and cook, spooning butter over yolks, until whites are set but yolks are still runny, about 3 minutes. Transfer eggs to a plate and cover with a piece of foil to keep warm.
- Add pasta and half the walnuts to the skillet and toss until warmed through. Stir in some of the reserved pasta water to make a sauce, and season with salt and pepper.
- To serve, divide pasta between four plates and top each serving with a fried egg. Sprinkle with remaining parmesan and the rest of the walnuts.