The classic fried green tomatoes recipe meets mozzarella cheese in a side dish that is good enough to be dinner all on its own!
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 pound green tomatoes, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- Kosher salt
- Sliced mozzarella
- Grated parmesan
- Place the flour, cornmeal and eggs in separate bowls. Dip the tomatoes first in the flour, then the eggs, then the cornmeal, pressing gently to help the cornmeal adhere.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Working in batches, cook the tomatoes until golden brown, 1-2 minutes per side. Drain on paper towel lined sheet and season with salt.
- These are fine to eat just as is, but if you want to take it step further, preheat the oven to 400.
- Make a stack of tomato slice, mozzarella cheese, another tomato, more cheese, one more tomato slice. (You can use a regular red tomato slice in the middle for color if you like.) Sprinkle parmesan cheese on top and stick a toothpick down the middle.
- Bake just until the cheese starts to melt, about 2-5 minutes. If they slide apart don’t worry, you can push them back into a stack once they are out of the oven.