This recipe for spicy chilled BLT soup is a summery version of your favorite bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwich but in cool soup form.
- 2 pounds chopped tomatoes
- Salt and fresh ground pepper
- 1 small cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 1–2 jalapenos (depending on how spicy you like things), stemmed, seeded and chopped (see note)
- 1/2 sweet onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, smashed and peeled
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 1 slice white bread, crust removed and torn into pieces
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Crumbled cooked bacon, shredded lettuce, halved cherry tomatoes and croutons for garnish
- Sprinkle tomatoes with 1/4 teaspoon salt and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Combine tomatoes, cucumber, peppers, onion, garlic, vinegar, bread, oil and sugar in blender and puree until smooth, about one minute. Refrigerate until cold, about 2 hours.
- Stir, season to taste with salt and pepper and serve with as much garnish as you like!
Make sure you wear gloves when you handle/chop up that onion. Trust me on this! :)