Craving peach pie? Who isn’t? Try this peaches and cream pie recipe for a different take on this favorite summertime dessert.
- One 9 inch unbaked pie crust (see note)
- 2 pounds ripe peaches, peeled, halved and pitted
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cover pie crust with plastic wrap and pop it in your freezer for 20 minutes. Adjust oven racks to upper middle and lower middle positions and preheat your oven to 375.
- Line the chilled pie shell with foil and top with pie weights.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with nonstick foil or parchment paper and put the peach halves cut side up and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons sugar. Bake on the upper middle rack until softened and juicy, about 30 minutes.
- Now add pie crust to oven on the lower middle rack (leave the peaches in there) and bake for 15 minutes. Carefully remove foil and weights from the crust and bake crust and peaches for 5 minutes more. Remove and cool both crust and peaches for 15 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325. Cut the baked peaches length-wise in quarters and arrange in a single layer over crust.
- Combine remaining sugar and flour in a bowl. Whisk in cream, egg yolks and vanilla until smooth and pour the mixture over the peaches.
- Bake until filling is light golden and set, about 45-55 minutes. Cool for three hours (I know! So hard!) before serving.
Yes, you absolutely CAN use one of those pre-made pie crusts in the dairy section of your supermarket. I won’t tell if you won’t tell.