- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 teaspoon dark brown sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 6 ears fresh corn, kernels sliced off the cob
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Coarse salt
- Whisk together egg yolks, brown sugar and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Add the corn and stir to combine.
- Whisk together the flour, cornmeal and baking powder with the remaining salt. Stir into the corn mixture until just combined.
- Heat 2 inches of oil in a large pot or skillet to 325 degrees.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff and fold into corn mixture until well combined. Drop batter into the oil by tablespoonfuls and fry for 2-3 minutes per side until golden. Drain on a wire rack set over paper towels. Sprinkle with coarse salt and serve!