Bananas, angel food cake, and chocolate mix it up in this super simple dessert. So the next time you need an easy and elegant dessert, think banana parfait!
Oh bananas, how do we love thee? So many ways, and what’s not to love – they are the perfect, scrumptious, portable, non-sticky/drippy/messy fruit. (Not that I don’t sometimes love peach juice running down my chin.)
You know what else we love? CHOCOLATE. Duh. So when figure out a recipe that has both chocolate and bananas, I know that soon I’m going to be digging into something good. It happened to me with the Banana Bites that are still one of my most popular posts EVER, and here we go again…and this time with some angel food cake, a few almonds, some mascarpone cheese, all in a dessert that will take you, oh, about 15 minutes to assemble, and that’s if you are going really slow.
Here’s the scoop. Find some pretty wine glasses, the rounder the better. Now take some angel food cake (the kind you can buy in the bakery section of your supermarket is perfectly fine) and slice it up. You want the initial slices to be about an inch high, and then trim those into whatever shape will fit nicely into your wine glasses. Don’t worry too much about making them pretty and precise, because they are going to be drowned in this.
That’s my mind-blowingly good favorite chocolate sauce from the mind-blowingly good Stonewall Kitchen, but you use whatever your favorite is.
Next you are going to whip up a mixture of mascarpone cheese (which is like a sweet cream cheese, and you can find it in the supermarket either in the cheese section or sometimes right near the cream cheese), some sugar, a little cream and if you are feeling frisky, a little amaretto. And here we go! Drop a piece of cake in the wineglass. Add in some banana slices, a spoonful of the cheese mixture, some chocolate sauce and a few sliced almonds. Repeat the layers, ending with the almonds.Print
- Your favorite chocolate sauce
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream, divided
- 3/4 cup mascarpone cheese
- 3 tablespoons amaretto
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 8 1/2-inch-thick angel food cake slices
- 24 1/3-inch-thick diagonal banana slices (from about 3 bananas)
- 1/3 cup (about) sliced almonds, toasted
- Whisk mascarpone, amaretto, sugar, and 2 tablespoons cream in medium bowl until blended.
- Cut the angel food cake into bite sized pieces (1-2 inches) and place a couple of pieces into each of 4 wine glasses.
- Top the cake with a few banana slices, a generous spoonful of cream mixture, a generous pour of chocolate sauce and some almonds. Repeat parfait layering 1 more time and serve.
Recipe adapted from Bon Appetit
Hi there! I’m Kate, and I’m a recipe writer, food photographer and devoted bacon lover. I started Framed Cooks in 2009, and along the way my recipes have also been featured in places including Huff Post, the Today Show, BuzzFeed and Glamour. My mission is to create and share family-friendly recipes that make cooking both easy and fun…yes, I said FUN! My kitchen is my happy place, and I want yours to be that place too. Let’s cook together!
Framed Cooks is delighted to have appeared on these great sites!