This sweet and tangy coleslaw makes the perfect side to any barbecue supper! The only recipe you’ll ever need for this favorite summer dish.
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar, plus extra for seasoning
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 large green cabbage (about 1 pound), cored and shredded fine (about 6 cups)
- 1/4 cup sugar, plus extra for seasoning
- Pinch of salt
- 1 large carrot, peeled and grated
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Combine 1/4 cup vinegar, oil, celery seed, and pepper in medium bowl. Place bowl in freezer until vinegar mixture is well chilled, about 30 minutes.
- While mixture chills, toss cabbage with ¼ cup sugar and 1 teaspoon salt in large microwave-safe bowl. Cover with large plate and microwave on high power for 30 seconds. Stir briefly, re-cover, and continue to microwave on high power until cabbage is partially wilted and has reduced in volume by one-third, 30 to 90 seconds longer depending on the power of your microwave.
- Place the cabbage in a salad spinner and spin cabbage until excess water is removed (if you don’t have a salad spinner then just squeeze it out thoroughly in a clean dish towel). Add cabbage, carrot and parsley to the chilled vinegar mixture, and toss to combine. Taste and add either a little more sugar or a little more vinegar, depending on how you like it. Season with salt to taste.
- Refrigerate until chilled, about 15 minutes. Toss again before serving.