Eggs with mustard creamed spinach and crispy breadcrumbs is the ultimate breakfast for dinner!
- 1/2 cup coarse fresh breadcrumbs
- 5 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons plus 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds (if you have them. If not don’t worry.)
- 1/2 pound baby spinach
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 large eggs
- Fresh oregano sprigs (for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Toss crumbs with 2 teaspoons mustard, 2 teaspoons oil, and mustard seeds in medium bowl and place in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake until crispy, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- While the crumbs are baking, place spinach in a large deep skillet and over high heat until it is wilted.
- Transfer spinach to medium saucepan. Add 3 teaspoons mustard, cream and chopped thyme. Stir over medium heat until thick, about 3 minutes. Season with freshly ground black pepper. Remove from heat.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in the same skillet over medium-high heat. Crack eggs into skillet, spacing apart. Cover the skillet, turn the heat to low and let the eggs cook for 5-6 minutes until done.
- Divide spinach between 2 plates, spreading out as base for eggs. Top with eggs, crumbs, and thyme sprigs.