- 4 cups chicken broth (I like the boxed Pacific and Imagine brands)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 6 medium carrots, grated or chopped
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 1/4 cups long-grain white rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- Bring broth and 2 cups water to a simmer.
- In a large saucepan, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat. Add onion and carrots and season with a little salt and pepper. Cook until softened, about 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in rice. Add wine and stir it around until the wine is almost gone, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add 2 cups of the hot broth and water mixture and cook over medium-low heat until the liquid is almost gone, 10 to 12 minutes, stirring every minute or so. Continue to add broth 1 cup at a time, waiting until the liquid is almost gone before adding more and stirring about once a minute.
- Repeat until rice is creamy and just tender, about 20 minutes (you may not need all the broth).
- Stir in Parmesan and 1 tablespoon butter, and season with salt and pepper. Serve at once.