- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespooons chopped onion
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 4 cups milk
- 3 cups grated Vermont cheddar
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcerstershire sauce
- Pinch dry mustard and salt
- 20 cherry tomatoes, halved
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Melt butter in soup pot and add onion and garlic. Stir for 3 minutes.
- Add flour and whisk until mixed, then slowly pour in broth and then milk, whisking until blended. Bring to a slow boil and cook until slightly thickened, 5-10 minutes.
- Add cheese, Worcerstershire sauce and mustard, stirring until cheese is melted. Add salt and pepper to taste. Now either carefully pour into a blender and puree, or even better, puree right int the pot with an immersion blender.
- Make roasted cherry tomatoes by tossing with a little olive oil and salt and pepper, spreading on a baking sheet lined with foil, and roasting in a 425 oven for 10 minutes.
- Ladle into bowls (heating the bowls beforehand in a 200 degree oven is nice!) sprinkle with paprika and garnish with the roasted tomatoes and some croutons.