- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 4 medium yellow onions, peeled and chopped
- 8 ounces Canadian bacon, chopped into one inch squares
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 cups drained canned plum tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3/4 cup red wine
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pound cooked pasta (I used ziti, but your choice!)
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium high heat. Add onions and saute for 10 minutes. Stir in bacon and garlic and saute for 5 minutes more.
- Stir in tomatoes, sugar and wine. Season to taste with salt and pepper and simmer uncovered for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve with cooked pasta of your choice, sprinkled generously with Parmesan.