You can make this easy recipe for vanilla nut brittle in your microwave with no candy thermometer, and it makes a delicious holiday gift!
- Butter or cooking spray for greasing the pan
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 12 ounces lightly salted mixed nuts (see note)
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Line a large baking sheet with non-stick foil, and butter or spray with cooking spray.
- Combine sugar and corn syrup in large microwave safe bowl, stir well and cover with plastic wrap.
- Microwave on high for 4 minutes. Carefully uncover and microwave for an additional 8 minutes.
- Carefully stir in nuts and microwave for 1 more minute.
- Working quickly, stir in butter, baking soda and vanilla. Quickly pour into foil-lined pan, spreading to edges with a spoon or spatula that is sprayed with cooking spray. Cool in pan on countertop.
- Once fully hardened (about 30-60 minutes) break into pieces.
Hey, if you want to make it with just one particular kind of nut, that is perfectly fine. If you are making it for me, I like cashews. :)