You can make this easy recipe for vanilla nut brittle in your microwave with no candy thermometer, and it makes a delicious holiday gift! Make sure you make an extra batch that is just for you.
One of my favorite holiday gifts from the kitchen this super-easy vanilla nut brittle that I pretty much adore for two reasons: you make it in the microwave, not on the stove, and there is no candy thermometer required.
I actually do own a candy thermometer, but I’m a little afraid of it.
But THIS particular recipe is a whole ‘nother story.
Here’s how you make vanilla nut brittle!
You need a nice big microwave-safe bowl and a baking tray with sides. Line the baking tray with non-stick foil, and either give the foil a good spray with cooking spray or butter it well.
Now measure out all the ingredients, including the butter and the vanilla and the baking soda, because this baby is going to go FAST at the very end.
OK! So you start by putting sugar and corn syrup in the microwave, first covering the bowl with plastic wrap and then uncovering it. That mixture is going to melt and bubble dramatically, which is exactly what we want.
Now, throughout all of this, be very, very careful when taking that bowl out of the microwave – molten sugar is as hot as hot gets.
Next you drop the nuts in, and nuke it one minute longer. Now comes the really fun part – drop in the butter, vanilla and baking soda, and it will literally transform before your very eyes into something that looks like liquid brittle.
Now pour it FAST into the foil-lined baking sheet and spread it around with a spatula or spoon that you have cleverly sprayed ahead of time with Pam. That’s it!
Once you have spread it out as best you can, leave it alone on the counter for about an hour, and when you come back you will have a glorious sheet of hardened brittle.
Lift the brittle off the foil – it may be a little buttery on the bottom from the butter or Pam, and if so you can blot it with a paper towel.
Now break it up into chunks, and congratulate yourself for making brittle with No Candy Thermometer. Vanilla Nut Brittle Triumph!!
And a great present for someone who has been VERY good this year. Maybe that’s YOU!
You can make this easy recipe for vanilla nut brittle in your microwave with no candy thermometer, and it makes a delicious holiday gift!
- Butter or cooking spray for greasing the pan
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 12 ounces lightly salted mixed nuts (see note)
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Line a large baking sheet with non-stick foil, and butter or spray with cooking spray.
- Combine sugar and corn syrup in large microwave safe bowl, stir well and cover with plastic wrap.
- Microwave on high for 4 minutes. Carefully uncover and microwave for an additional 8 minutes.
- Carefully stir in nuts and microwave for 1 more minute.
- Working quickly, stir in butter, baking soda and vanilla. Quickly pour into foil-lined pan, spreading to edges with a spoon or spatula that is sprayed with cooking spray. Cool in pan on countertop.
- Once fully hardened (about 30-60 minutes) break into pieces.
Hey, if you want to make it with just one particular kind of nut, that is perfectly fine. If you are making it for me, I like cashews. :)