- 4 (6-ounce) potatoes (I used Yukon Gold)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 1/4 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 1% low-fat milk, divided
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 bacon slices, chopped and cooked until crispy
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 teaspoons thinly sliced green onions
- Scrub the potatoes and prick them with a fork a few times. Microwave them on high for about 8 minutes until they are cooked. Cut them in half, and set aside.
- While the potatoes are cooking, heat the oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, and sauté for 3 minutes. Add broth.
- Mix flour and 1/2 cup milk together and add the mixture to the pan with 1 1/2 cups milk. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Cook for 1 minute.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Whisk in sour cream, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Scoop the potato out of the skins, and mash it into the soup (at this point I pureed it with my emsulsion blender to get it even smoother) . Discard skins.
- Garnish each serving of soup with cheese, green onions and crumbled bacon. Serve immediately.