This easy recipe for panzanella, otherwise known as a tomato and bread salad, gets extra flavor from ricotta and basil! The perfect summer supper.
Panzanella! Isn’t that a great word? And if you saw it actually being said by my pale, freckled, Irish girl self you would laugh your head off, because it really needs to be said with a fabulous Italian accent to get the true benefit.
But no matter, it is wonderful and summery, and the perfect, perfect thing to make when tomatoes and basil are in full swing and the days are still too hot to even THINK of turning on the oven. Basically, it is a bread salad that involves tossing chunks of crusty bread with tomatoes, basil, red onion and just enough vinegar and olive oil to soak into the bread and soften it up just a little bit.
This particular version calls for a generous scoop of fresh ricotta on the top, which then gets drizzled with a little more olive oil. Some fresh ground pepper, and you are good to go.
Now, we ate this all by its gorgeous self, but I can also imagine it as a scrumptious side dish alongside grilled sliced steak or chicken. Yum, right? In any language.
- 5 cups crusty bread, cut or torn into one each pieces
- 2 pounds ripe tomatoes, cut into one each pieces
- 1/2 small red onion, sliced thin
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- coarse salt and fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup basil leaves, torn
- 2 cups fresh ricotta
- Preheat oven to 375. Spread bread on a baking sheet and toast until golden, about 20 minutes.
- Combine tomatoes, onion, vinegar and oil in a large bowl. Season to taste with a little salt and pepper.
- Add toasted bread and basil and toss to combine. Let sit for 20-30 minutes so bread can soak up the liquid.
- Divide among plates and top with a generous spoonful of ricotta, a drizzle of olive oil, and a little more salt and pepper.
Hi there! I’m Kate, and I’m a recipe writer, food photographer and devoted bacon lover. I started Framed Cooks in 2009, and my mission is to create and share family-friendly recipes that make cooking both easy and fun…yes, I said FUN! My kitchen is my happy place, and I want yours to be that place too. Let’s cook together!