There’s french toast, and then there’s this recipe for caramel french toast. The quick extra step of caramelizing will change your breakfast forever!
- 7 tablespoons butter, softened
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 8 1-inch-thick slices bread (I like soft Italian bread but any soft bread will do)
- Confectioner’s sugar for garnish
- Fresh blueberries and raspberries
- Your choice of syrup!
- Mix butter and brown sugar together until well blended.
- Whisk milk, eggs, vanilla, and spices together and pour into a 13 x 9 inch casserole. Lay the bread slices in the eg mixture, turn them around a few times and then let them soak for at least 15 minutes. You can even leave them in the fridge overnight to soak if you are preparing this the night before.
- Melt 4 tablespoons brown sugar-butter mixture in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. (If you can’t fit them all in one skillet then melt 2 tablespoons butter mixture cook them in two batches.) Spread remaining butter mixture over the top of the soaked bread.
- Add bread slices to each skillet, butter side UP. Cook until bottoms are deep brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Turn slices over. Cook another 3-4 minutes.
- Divide French toast among 4 plates. Sprinkle some confectioner’s sugar on top, scatter some berries and drizzle with syrup.