This recipe made me ridiculously happy in every way.First of all, it is one of those recipes that looks like you slaved over it for hours when really you messed around in the kitchen for about 20 minutes. Second, it takes full advantage of the fresh and wonderful summer veggies that are starting to trickle in — young fresh basil, sweet cherry tomatoes, and zucchini. Third, it is yet another recipe that calls for fresh ricotta, thereby helping me satisfy my new obsession with making my own ricotta (and as always, you feel free to buy your ricotta at the supermarket, the way well-adjusted people do.) Fourth, the reason it is called “Summer Lasagne” is because you don’t bake it. Nope, no oven required.
Last but not least, it was SO photogenic. Like this baby I know, it looked good in every single shot.
Here’s the recipe. For the lasagne, I mean…not the baby.
- 1 cup ricotta
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 8 lasagne noodles, broken into thirds, cooked and drained
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 small zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup torn basil leaves
- Combine ricotta, parmesan and 1 tablespoon olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Heat remaining oil in skillet over medium high and add garlic and tomatoes. Cook until slightly broken down, about 3 minutes. Transfer to bowl.
- Add zucchini to skillet (with a little more oil if needed). Season with salt and pepper and cook about 5 minutes until tender. Transfer to another bowl.
- Scatter a few tomatoes over four plates. Top with one noodle, a spoonful of ricotta mixture, zucchini and more tomatoes. Repeat layering twice, ending with noodle and tomatoes. Drizzle a little more olive oil on top. Garnish with basil and serve.
Hi there! I’m Kate, and I’m a recipe writer, food photographer and devoted bacon lover. I started Framed Cooks in 2009, and my mission is to create and share family-friendly recipes that make cooking both easy and fun…yes, I said FUN! My kitchen is my happy place, and I want yours to be that place too. Let’s cook together!