Have you ever tried quinoa? Quinoa makes a great, healthy salad, especially when you pair it up with shrimp and asparagus. Warm quinoa salad with shrimp and asparagus for the win!
So, let’s talk quinoa. I was probably the last one to find out it is pronounced “keen-wah,” and that it contains more protein than any other grain. You guys all knew that already, right? I just knew that it tastes scrumptious, and whenever I have had one too many Maple Butterscotch Macadamia Blondies and am needing an injection of healthy food, this is a great and yummy way to get some.
This particular salad is also chock-full of veggies — asparagus, peas, sundried tomatoes — flavored up with some scallions and a few salty cashews, and topped off with my favorite…delicious chopped up shrimp.
Even more happily, it all cooks up in one pot — the quinoa first, then the veggies, topped with the shrimp. If I am feeling really crazy, I crumble some soft feta cheese onto the top right before I serve it.
This recipe was adapted from one I ran across on the Whole Foods website, which is (as you might guess) a great source for healthy and delicious food. I wouldn’t go there looking for Cookie Truffle-type recipes, but if you are looking for stuff to make with quinoa, you’re looking in the right place.
So there you go. Be healthy, people. Every now and then, anyway.
Quinoa makes a great, healthy salad, especially when you pair it up with shrimp and asparagus. Warm Quinoa salad with shrimp and asparagus for the win!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, cut into small strips
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
- 1/2 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup green peas (thawed if you are using the frozen ones)
- 1/2 cup roasted cashews
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Heat oil in a medium sized pot over medium heat. Add onions and stir until they start to soften, about 3 minutes.
- Add sun-dried tomatoes and continue to cook for 1 more minute. Add broth, wine, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Stir in quinoa and simmer on low heat, covered, for about 20 minutes, or until quinoa is almost tender.
- Pop the shrimp on top of the quinoa and simmer for 3 minutes. Add asparagus and peas on top of the shrimp and simmer for 3 more minutes.
- Divide among plates and top with cashews, scallions and parsley, and season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
Recipe adapted from Whole Foods
Hi there! I’m Kate, and I’m a recipe writer, food photographer and devoted bacon lover. I started Framed Cooks in 2009, and my mission is to create and share family-friendly recipes that make cooking both easy and fun…yes, I said FUN! My kitchen is my happy place, and I want yours to be that place too. Let’s cook together!