This fun recipe for cheddar jalapeño huevos rancheros in tortilla cups puts this spicy egg and tomato dish in easy to make little tortilla bowls, making them easy to eat as well as delicious!
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeds discarded and minced (use 1/2 a pepper if you like things less spicy)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 6 medium sized corn tortillas
- 8 ounces pepper jack cheese, grated (we love Cabot!)
- 6 large eggs
- 1/2 pint alfalfa sprouts or other little greens (optional but delicious!)
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In medium bowl, combine tomatoes, onions, honey, jalapeño, lime juice, salt and pepper and set aside.
- In another bowl, combine sour cream and cumin and set aside.
- Place one tortilla between two sheets of paper towel and microwave for 15 seconds to soften. Press inside a large custard cup or ramekin to form into bowl shape. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Place cups with tortillas on a baking sheet and divide the cheese among them, spreading it evenly along the bottom. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Meanwhile, poach eggs (see note below for my favorite method!)
- To serve, place sour cream and greens in each tortilla cup. Top with a poached egg and spoonfuls of tomato mixture.