This easy recipe for poached eggs with polenta and fresh salsa jazzes up your breakfast or brunch with a gently spicy fresh vegetable garnish over creamy eggs and dreamy polenta.
- 1 cup chopped fresh cherry tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- A few shakes of Tabasco sauce
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil or cilantro — your choice!
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 1/2 cups fresh corn kernels (see note)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Fresh ground pepper
- 8 eggs
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and chopped
- Combine all salsa ingredients and set aside.
- Make polenta by bringing water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add cornmeal in a steady stream, whisking as you go. Add salt, reduce heat to low and simmer until thickened, about 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add butter, corn, cheese and pepper. Keep warm while you poach the eggs.
- Poach eggs, and here’s my favorite way to do that. (You can also soft boil them if you like that better).
- Assemble plates as follows: Spoon out a circle of polenta. Top with two eggs. Spoon salsa over eggs. Scatter bacon over salsa. Mmmmmmmmm…….
If it’s not fresh corn season, you can use thawed frozen corn!