This recipe for chicken fried steak is the answer to all your comfort food country cooking dreams! Complete with creamy gravy of course.
- 3 pounds sliced cube steak
- 2 large eggs
- 3 1/2 cups milk
- 3 1/3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoons paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- Beat the eggs with one cup of milk and place in shallow dish.
- Mix 3 cups flour with 2 teaspoons salt, paprika, cayenne and black pepper, place in shallow dish.
- Season the meat with salt and pepper. Dip in flour, then eggs, then back in flour, coating thoroughly each time. Place on empty plate until ready to cook.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Fry meat 3 pieces at a time until golden, about 2-3 minutes on each side. Remove to paper towel lined plate and keep warm.
- After frying all the meat, pour out all grease except for 1/4 cup and heat up the grease. Sprinkle 1/3 cup flour over the grease and whisk it together.
- After a couple of minutes the flour mixture will turn brown. Whisking constantly, pour in 2 cups of milk. Let gravy come to slow boil to thicken. Add more milk as needed if it gets too thick. This should take 5-10 minutes.
- Generously season with salt and pepper.
- Place meat on plate and spoon gravy over. Serve with mashed potatoes and whatever other veggie you like. I serve with corn to make sure we really DO get enough carbs. Yum yum yum!